This episode will explore current programmatic and project based initiatives to create the processes and infrastructure that will support a growing number of software (re)use cases/organizational users. Guests will highlight challenges and opportunities associated with scaling an institutional software preservation program, as well as scaling software preservation across institutions.
- Define scale in the context of your project. How is scale different from growth?
- Are there aspects of software preservation that are not in scope for your project or program to tackle, but are nevertheless crucial to the long-term success of your project or programmatic goals?
Websites & Blogs
- Emulation as a Service (EaaS) at Yale University Library:
- Example of emulated content at Yale University Library: https://twitter.com/euanc/status/998599100311490562
- Scaling Emulation as a Service Infrastructure Project: http://softwarepn.wpengine.com/eaasi/
Articles, Reports & Presentations
- ARL Best Practices for Fair Use in Software Preservation
- Cochrane, E. (2013). “Rendering Matters.” Archives New Zealand: https://web.archive.org/web/20130218111126/http:/archives.govt.nz/rendering-matters-report-results-research-digital-object-rendering and examples from the report:http://archives.govt.nz/resources/information-management-research/rendering-matters-report-results-research-digital-object-0
- Day, M., Pennock, M., May, P., Davies, K., Whibley, S., Kimura, A., Halvarsson, E. (2016). “The preservation of disk-based content at the British Library – Lessons from the Flashback project.” http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0955749016669775
- “Integrated Preservation Suite” in the 2017-2020 BL Digital Preservation Strategy: https://www.bl.uk/aboutus/stratpolprog/collectioncare/digitalpreservation/strategy/BL_DigitalPreservationStrategy_2017-2020.pdf
- Interview with Dirk von Suchodoletz about PLANETS and Emulation: https://blogs.loc.gov/thesignal/2012/12/the-foundations-of-emulation-as-a-service-an-interview-with-dirk-von-suchodoletz-part-one/
- Rechert, K., Liebetraut, T., Stobbe, O., Lubetzki, N., Steinke, T. (2017). “Integrating emulation into library reading rooms”: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0955749017725427?journalCode=alaa
- Rosenthal, D. (2016). Emulation & Virtualization as Preservation Strategies: https://mellon.org/media/filer_public/0c/3e/0c3eee7d-4166-4ba6-a767-6b42e6a1c2a7/rosenthal-emulation-2015.pd
- Scott, J. (2017) “20 Minutes into the Emulation Future.” Created for the Digital Preservation Coalition Halcyon and On Emulation Summit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuIOJD2xbjY&t=1s