In this third episode in a seven-part series about using the Code of Best Practices in Fair Use, you’ll learn about:
- How fair use enables institutions to provide access to software for use in research, teaching, and learning settings while minimizing any negative impact on ordinary commercial sales
- How to provide broader networked access to software maintained and shared across multiple institutions, including off-premise access under some circumstances
- Safeguards to minimize potential risks, such as the establishment of a mechanism to register concerns by stakeholders
Brandon Butler (University of Virginia Libraries)
Director of Information Policy, University of Virginia Libraries and Legal & Policy Advisor for the Software Preservation Network. Mr. Butler is co-author of the Code of Best Practices for Fair Use in Software Preservation.
Peter Jazsi (American University)
Professor Emeritus at American University Washington College of Law and Founder of the Glushko-Samuelson Intellectual Property Law Clinic. Professor Jaszi is one of the originators of the fair use best practices movement and co-author of the Code of Best Practices for Fair Use in Software Preservation.
Lauren Work (University of Virginia)
Digital Preservation Librarian at the University of Virginia Library, where she is responsible for the implementation of digital preservation strategy and systems. She is also the Project Lead for UVa Library’s Fostering a Community of Practice SPN project, and serves as the Uva Library Node Configuration Coordinator for the SPN EaaSI program.
Daina Bouquin (Harvard | Smithsonian Center for Astrophyics)
Head Librarian at the Center for Astrophysics, an organization where Harvard and Smithsonian scientists work together on space missions and research. Daina is responsible for all library operations and leads efforts to facilitate software preservation and code attribution within the astronomy community. She is also an advisor to SPN’s EaaSI program, a member of arXiv’s IT Advisory Group, and a member of Center for Astrophysics’ Scientific Computation Advisory Board.
Websites & Blogs
- Slide presentations from Daina Bouquin
- Fostering Communities of Practice in Software Preservation and Emulation Cohort
- Emulation in the Archives Workshop (July 2019)
Articles, Reports & Presentations